Photographer: Gabriella Imperatori-Penn/ Hair: Kristan Serafino
Written by:* David Maderich
It’s been a long hot and humid summer. As a makeup artist, it’s been a challenge to keep my models fresh and flawless. Read my five red carpet tips to avoid makeup meltdown.
5 Tips To Beat The Summer Heat:
1. CONCEAL: In sticky weather, you don’t want to smother your face with greasy foundation. To cover acne or spots, use a thick stay-put concealer sparingly – I love OCC Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Skin – Conceal. This vegan-based concealer comes in 12 shades from ivory to ebony and will cover anything and won’t budge.
2. BLOT PAPERS: If your skin looks like an oil well, don’t reach for the powder. Constantly adding powder and more powder can lead to a cakey mess. Try blotting papers – these little gems fit in your back pocket or purse and are heaven for greasy gals. Just press onto shiny areas and you are shine free. I love Bobbi Brown Blotting Papers in a chic leatheresque case.
3. STAINS: If you have trouble keeping your blush and lips intact in summer heat, try a stain. I adore Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Lipstick – a nice sheer pink. Add a drop to cheeks and lips and blend. If you lips feel dry, add a matte balm – no gloss on heat-slicked days.
4. WATERPROOF MASCARA: Nothing is as horrific than those black smudges under your eyes that get caught in your bags and sags. To the rescue is waterproof mascara. The secret is to find one that goes on like silk. I like. Rimmel London’s new Scandal Eyes in Black Noir.
5. BROWS: Have you ever looked in the mirror and noticed half of your eyebrow has melted off. To the rescue is TouchBack by Colormark Brow. I love this smooth flow marker to fill in brows – or in a pinch as eyeliner. Once dry, this stuff doesn’t move. Always choose a shade lighter than your hair color to add softness to your face.
For more makeup tips make sure to follow Mr.Makeup on Twitter @DavidMaderich
*David has been a freelance makeup artist for 10 years. His work has appeared in Vogue, Elle, Tatler, GQ, Glamour, Esquire, Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, Surface, and The New York Times. He has groomed the faces of Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Brad Pitt, Tim Gunn, Carmen Electra, Pink, Mary Kate Olsen, Dave Mathews Band, Nancy O’Dell, Justin Chambers, Ricki Lake, Drew Barrymore, Giselle, Kim Basinger, Patti Labelle, and Joan Collins—as well as hundreds of models. His advertising work includes Avon, Target, General Motors, Macy’s, Geoffrey Beene, Marshall Field’s, Pepsi Cola, General Mills, 3M, Victoria Secret, and Timex Watches.
“True beauty isn’t about perfection. By liberating people to realize this simple fact, we help them see the real beauty within themselves.” Kristan Serafino