Stubborn Grey Hair
As a Celebrity hairstylist, one of the most common questions asked is the best way to cover the infamous ” stubborn grey hair ” in between my visits to the colorist. SerafinoSays has 6 simple and surprisingly effective and quick tips and to mask your grey roots peeking out between colors.
6 Ways to Cover Your Grey Hair:
1. The Graffiti Artist: Colored Hair Spray/Powder – Start by draping yourself in an old robe or towel. Sprays can sometimes “spit or splatter” out from the can. Shaking the can vigorously between applications can help alleviate this problem. Hold the nozzle of the spray can approximately 8-10 inches away from roots. In order to avoid staining your skin with errant spray, place a tissue on your skin-line against the hair when spraying. When using Colored Hair Spray remember “less is best.” What I mean is more is not better when applying touch-up color to the roots. Try using my Favorite from Bumble and Bumble Hair Powder.
2. The Magic Wand: Instant Grey Touch Up Wand – Apply the Instant Grey Touch Up Want to the root line then softly move the brush up the hair shaft the necessary distance. SerafinoSays Pro Tip: Note; be cautious to use a want that nearly matches your hair color. This is a temporary solution but it provides excellent coverage.
3. The Van Gogh: Eye Shadow & Brush - This works well for those random long strands that are driving you crazy. SerafinoSays Pro Tip: Start with a damp eye shadow brush with water or a clear hair gel, then dab the brush in they eye shadow and simply paint each individual strand. This solution is for those lucky few with only a few strands of grey hair beginning to show try using Laura Mercier Smudge Brush and Laura Mercier Eye Color.
4. The Bandit – Head Band, Sun Glasses or Hair Accessories - Out of sight, out of mind. Well, not exactly, but wearing a head band can certainly provide adequate coverage to keep your greys well our of sight for the entire day… and by far the quickest and simplest solution.
5. The Comb Over – Flip your part. Again, a very simple and quick solution that works. The color on your natural part is exposed far more than the interior hair elsewhere. Therefore, the exposed area of your hair has a tendency to fade quicker since it is exposed to all the element harmful to preserving color. SerafinoSays Pro Tip: Simply try flipping your part to see if you show fewer grey hairs using a center part or the other side of your head. If that’s the case, flip away!
6. The Magician – Use a box of hair color like Nice N’ Easy and apply color ONLY to the hair’s part and those stubborn greys framing your face. Do NOT try and color your entire head or apply color far up the hair shaft. The reason for the caution is if you are currently having your hair professionally colored, then any attempt to color your own hair will likely result in your colorist having to take corrective steps to achieve your standard color. This is why being “the Magician” is only for Emergencies.
“True beauty isn’t about perfection. By liberating people to realize this simple fact, we help them see the real beauty within themselves.” Kristan Serafino