Norman Reedus Nylon Magazine
Norman Reedus Nylon Magazine is on newsstands and guess who was the lucky lady that groomed and styled his hair on the shoot? You guessed it…..me! That was an easy question for my regular readers who know I have worked with Norman for years. (See: links below) Each time I work with him I get another glimpse into just what makes Norman so cool.
I find Norman progressively cooler because he is a talented actor, a versatile artist, enthusiastically engaged with his fans, a doting father, infatuated with his cat, and gracious and respectful of everyone he comes in contact with. But most of all I am fascinated how Norman’s “cool factor” lights up my social media platforms whenever I share a morsel of information on his grooming and hair styling routine.
Now the unwritten rule among hairstylists is we NEVER cut and tell. So you won’t catch me dishing gossip when it comes to any of my celebrity clients. But what I can and will do is share styling tips and addresses the many grooming questions that bombard my social media whenever I utter the word “Norman.”
This first post will be dedicated to all the Dude’s out there that would love to have a little of Norman’s swagger rub off on them. So if it’s bad-ass you’re looking for then I just might have the missing pieces of your grooming puzzle. We’re going to take baby grooming steps, but it’s a start.
For those of you that are more advanced with your grooming routine; don’t worry, be patient. My list of male clients ranges from leading role models in film, sports, television and business and I will be sharing the tips, tricks and trade secrets used to perfect their personal brand and keep their appearance fresh. Stay tuned!
3 “Bad-Ass” Grooming Facts:
- Scruff: Whether it’s full or sparse, ladies dig a man with scruff. You don’t think so…then simply check out Norman’s images above. We find it to be sexy, rugged and even sometimes a little naughty. But even with those enticing virtues, a man still needs to keep the stubble neat, without defeating the purpose of scruff, which is not to appear neat. Did I lose you? I just want you to tidy up areas of the scruff that will distract from your cool factor. A) Start with the clippers at a higher setting then adjust them as necessary to get the desired length. Remember, it’s a lot easier to take stubble off than to put it back on, B) Shave against the growth of the hair (unlike shaving), C) Overlap each stoke of the shaving path to be certain of an even length, D) Beginning at the center of the lip, trim any stragglers from your mustache along the outer edges of the lip line. Trust me, girls don’t want a random stray facial hair to come between you and her juicy lips. Use Remington MB4040 Lithium Ion Powered Men’s Rechargeable Mustache and Beard Trimmer.
Face Cream: Afraid of a “girly-boy” label if you use face cream…well grow up, because your skin is growing old. That’s right, while you worry about protecting your rugged image your skin is loosing a daily battle against aging. While men are blessed with thicker skin and will loose collagen slower than women, men’s skin has larger pores (dirt & oil receptacles) and at a higher risk of skin cancer. And don’t get me started on the irritation caused by shaving and alcohol-based products. A man’s facial skin needs a nutrient rich moisturizer that hydrates and nourishes the skin with essential oils and vitamins to improve the skin tone and also blocks UVB rays that damage the outer layer and UVA rays that cause premature aging and cancer. It’s science man, don’t fight it! Try Urth Face Balm SPF15. Pro Tip: Apply a lotion after using an smoothing lotion or after shave
- Styling Products Are Cool: But follow the golden rule of “less is more.” Confused, don’t be… it means less (or the recommended amount) has more impact. Manufacturers provide application instructions for a purpose; in the case of styling products it is the correct amount product to achieve the products emulsification of the formula to achieve a desired effect. They don’t just make this s%#t up out of thin air. Of course you can tweak the measurement to get a varying effect, but that is a lesson learned through self-experimentation. Try Blind Barber 90 Proof Strong Hold Pomade Pro Tip: Apply any hair products starting from the back of the head to the front. This helps to eliminate excess products around the hairline.
Want to see more photo shoots with Norman Reedus?
- Click here to learn about what went on behind the scenes on Norman’s Men’s Fitness Cover Shoot
- Click here to learn about the projects Norman is working on.
- Click here to see Norman’s Bello Cover Shoot.
- Click here for Norman’s work out tips in Men’s Fitness.
- Click here for Norman’s New York Times interview.
- Click here for a fun interview with Norman.
“True beauty isn’t about perfection. By liberating people to realize this simple fact, we help them see the real beauty within themselves” Kristan Serafino