“Monday Makeover With @kckalmar”
Written by: Kristan Serafino
While planning for her wedding @Kckalmar was seeking Twitter tips from one of the top Celebrity Wedding Planners and host of WeTV “I Do Over”, Diann Valentine. Diann is famous for sharing Celebrity Wedding tips on Twitter to her followers. Since @SerafinoSays and @DiannValentine conduct regular Twitter banter on wedding hairstyles it was exciting when @kckalmar decided to reach out to both of us for a fresh post-wedding hairstyle. @kckalmar had been growing out her hair in advance of the big wedding day so it was a perfect time to consider alternative looks.
Before SerafinoSays makes a recommendation for a new hairstyle, we want to understand the personality of our friends. This is accomplished through a series of questions that help SerafinoSays decide which of the three categories best describe our friend;
- Whisper: This means you want a trim on your ends and keeping your color as close to your existing hair color. You look the same as when you walked in the salon except your hair feels healthy and shiny.
- Talker: You go back to the office and people notice your new style but it’s a style that is not too dramatic that they don’t recognize who you are. An example could be you keep your length and add shorter layers or your sweeping fringe is now just above your eyebrows.
- Shouter: Heads are turning when you enter the room. You have just cut your one length hair into a pixie cut. You walked in a blonde and you are going home a red.
1. What is your natural hair texture (straight/curly/wavy/thick/thin/oily/dry)? My hair is thick, wavy and more on the coarse side. I don’t have to wash it everyday (not oily).
2. How much time do you spend daily styling your hair? Right now, for day-to-day life I usually just brush it and go. If I’m doing something fancier or need to look nice, I will dry it with a round brush and use either hot or Velcro rollers. I’ve gotten lazy with my (non-existent) day to day routine. I’d like to look more polished and modern. My wardrobe style is pretty classic/traditional/preppy but with a twist.
3. What products do you use on your hair? I use a leave-in conditioner or a a Redken Straightening/smoothing balm or a frizz-ease serum.
4. Do you wear your hair up (Ponytail/hairbands/headbands/clips)? I will wear my hair completely down, in a pony tail or half up, half down.
5. Do you live in a climate that effects your hair (Humid/Dry/High Altitude etc)? I live in Pittsburgh, PA. It can get humid in the summer.
6. Do you use any hair tools (Blow dryer/curling iron/flat iron)? I own a blow dryer, large and small barrel curling iron, hot rollers and a flat iron. I use a blow dryer (if I’m trying to look pretty) and hot rollers. Normally I have gotten into the habit of just letting my hair air dry. I’m willing to put more effort into my look
7. Do you color your hair professionally or do you color your own hair at home? I don’t color my hair at all. In high school I had highlights for a short period of time. They were too severe of a contrast between my dark natural hair color and the blondish highlights.
8. What facial feature do you LOVE on yourself? I like my eyes and my cheek bones. I’m self concioius about my facing looking too fat or round.
9. What don’t you like about your hair right now? I don’t feel like I have a style or a look right now. My hair’s been variations on the same thing for a while now. I had it very long with very long layers to successfully have a updo for my wedding. Now that I’m married, I have more flexibility to do what I’d like. I’d look to look more put together. I don’t want to look sloppy or matronly.
10. If you could describe the way you want your new look to be…. Would it Whisper, Talk or Shout? I don’t want to whisper. I feel like that’s what I do 99% of the time. Occasionally I go the ‘talker’ route. I’m thinking I would like to be a talker – shouter. Honestly, I’m scared to go into full-on shouter mode. But I’m interested in getting a professionals opinion. If I was happy with my current look, I wouldn’t have asked for help & I wouldn’t be so excited for your suggestion.
Although @Kckalmar might someday go down the road of a “Shouter”, today she is choosing to be a “Talker” who is looking for a noticeable change that will accentuate what she most admires about her natural beauty. The natural condition of her hair texture is thick, wavy and does not need daily washing and she prefers not to color her hair. She is looking for a hairstyle that is relatively simple to style in the ever-changing, unforgiving Pittsburgh climate. Although she has the habit of letting her hair air dry, she is willing to put the extra effort maintaining the new look by using products and hair tools occasionally. @kckalmar told us she wants to accentuate the “eyes and cheek bones,” but that she feels self-conscious about her face appearing too round. This is exactly the type of constructive information we need to best create a hairstyle that meets her expectations and beauty.
We identified three primary factors that need to influence our Solution.
- The eyes and lips that @kckalmar best loves about her facial features are getting lost within the lack of layers of the hair surrounding her beautiful face.
- She currently prefers a “wash & wear” style but is open to using daily styling products, dryer and/or hot tools.
- Since she currently had very few layers in her hair, the result is excessive weight that causes the hair to naturally take on a triangular shape. The bottom of her hair looks very heavy while the top looks very flat.
Our challenge is to enhance her features by controlling the style and flow of her hair. Most haircuts and styles rely on the tips and directional flow of the hair to act as arrows that guide the eye to the facial features most admired. For example, we can make you notice @kckalamar lovely eyes by giving her sweeping fringe (see: Heidi Klum) then also hold her admirers attention and redirect the attention to her voluptuous lips by adding soft layers around her face (see: Model with blue eyes) that open up and frame her face.
In order to make her new cut & style flow naturally with movement to the hair, we will want to add long* seamless layers. We love @kckalmar length but we recommend bringing up the length approx 3″ which will help to eliminate any dead ends giving a healthier appeal to the overall style.
@kckalmar may not be ready to color her hair yet and we really do love her natural brown hair, but SerafinoSays thought we would throw in a few colors that would work well with her complexion and new sexy hair style…. Giggle!
(*Seamless Layers: Are when she has layers into the interior of her hair cut. The layers are only seen when the hair moves naturally. When the hair is combed straight down the layers don’t appear.)
Suggested Hair color: