Written by: Kristan Serafino
If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that you have to be in great physical shape in order to be a top notch Zombie Killer. What zombies lack in speed and agility, they make for in endurance and a relentless passion to make a meal of everyone. Not a problem for cross-bow wielding Norman Reedus, aka Daryl Dixon, of AMC’s hit television show The Walking Dead.
Such a phenomenal physique is the result of dedication to healthy nutrition and grueling hours in the weight room. This months Men’s Fitness magazine tells us how Norman Reedus achieved and maintains his lean look. I had the pleasure of grooming Norman on this Men’s Fitness photo shoot that took place at Focus Gym NYC where owner Joseph Masiello guided oversaw Norman’s workout.
Judging by this photograph of Norman, it looks like this Zombie Killer will be in fine killing form next season. We can’t wait…sorry zombies!
Want to achieve Norman’s sexy good looks? You’ll have to purchase Men’s Fitness to get fitness tips, but SerafinoSays is glad to share our grooming tips used on Norman. Continue reading for SerafinoSays‘ zombierific grooming tips.
Skin is the largest organ in the human body consisting of cells and tissue. Literally a barrier between you and “the world.” When you think of it in that critical term it makes your skin care regimen consisting of a bar of soap seem…inadequate. Whether your roaming the Georgia countryside in 100+ degree temperatures searching for zombies, or simply enjoying a zombie-free existence, your skin is constantly doing battle with external environmental threats such as;
1) Overexposure to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation that stresses and damages the skin.
2) Overexposure to cold, dry air that literally starves your skin of hydration.
3) Overexposure to urban pollution, which contain toxins in the air that cause skin to age prematurely, clog pores that dull the skin’s appearance, and depletes oxygen in your skin cells that minimize the skin’s elasticity causing wrinkles.
1. Wash your skin daily and again after rigorous work or exercise to purify the skin. Try Men’s Science Daily Face Wash. It removes impurities and debris, dissolves buildup, clears pores and revitalizes and smooths the skin.
2. Moisturize daily to help your skin stay hydrated. A good moisturizer also creates a barrier between your skin and pollutants. Try Men’s Science Oil Free Face Lotion. 3. Exfoliate your skin twice a week to remove impurities and air pollutants from your skin. Try Zihr Aloe Exfoliator. It gently removes dead surface skin cells for a fresher, smoother appearance.4. Hydrate your skin from within by drinking more water, which will actually increase cell production and improve circulation.
5. Try to use products with antioxidants that show in studies to combat pollutants in the skin.
Hair care in an zombie apocalyptic state can be challenging, what with zombie pharmacists and zombie hairstylists offering little help. Fortunately few of us experience those challenges so it will be simple to follow SerafnoSays’ hair care regimen.
1. It is safe, and in my opinion recommended, for men to wash their hair daily. If you do so. let me offer a couple words of advice;
a) You don’t have to follow the instructions that say, “wash, then repeat.”* The purpose of washing is to remove the buildup of oils, dirt and pollutants. This is accomplished with a single wash and a second wash risks drying the scalp that may cause a new set of hair & scalp problems. Remember to rinse your hair thoroughly after washing and before adding conditioner. (*The exception is for over oily scalp.)
b) I don’t endorse the use of 2-in-1 products that contain both a shampoo and conditioner in one. Think about it, it doesn’t make sense. How can the shampoo component remove the oils and gunk from your hair while at the same time the conditioner component is adding moisture by coating the cuticle. I recommend the use of conditioners, but be certain to choose the one best for your hair texture.
2. You now want to add a cream to your hair. When hair is wet apply Kiehl’s Creme with Silk Groom. Apply a dime size dollop of cream to hands making sure emulsify between fingers. Typically directions say to emulsify before applying the product, which means to rub it between your hands so it becomes more of a liquid than a solid (the heat caused by friction ‘breaks down’ the product to make it go from solid to liquid). Although most people will suggest emulsifying in the palms of your hands, you want to be certain to cover your fingers with the product since it is your fingers spreading the product through your hair. Always remember to apply products from the back of head to the front.
3. Blast hair dry or let hair dry naturally.